DNP Scholarship Process
DNP (Post-Baccalaureate and Post-Master's) students wishing to receive School of Nursing scholarships will complete one application for all eligible School of Nursing scholarships. Students do not apply individually for specific School of Nursing scholarships.The scholarship selection committee reviews each student's application and FAFSA information. Based on information provided and the scholarship criteria, the committee awards specific scholarships to students. Unfortunately, not all students who apply will receive a School of Nursing scholarship. It is strongly encouraged that students seek additional funding through external scholarships.
DNP Post-Baccalaureate applicants do not need to complete the scholarship application in order to receive the Bentson Scholarship. The Bentson Scholarship is only awarded at the time of admission.
Graduate Scholarships: This list is subject to change based on donors' wishes and availability of funding.
Each year, the School of Nursing awards 50 $20,000 Bentson Scholarships to incoming DNP Post-Baccalaureate students. When you apply to the Doctor of Nursing Practice program at the University of Minnesota, you will be automatically considered for a Bentson Scholarship. If selected, the one-time scholarship will be disbursed over the course of your post-baccalaureate DNP education. Benston Scholarship recipients will be notified at the time of admission to the DNP program. Bentson Scholars are not eligible for additional School of Nursing specific scholarships and should not submit an additional scholarship application.
- Must submit DNP Post-Baccalaureate application by the priority admission deadline - October 15
- Must be pursuing first advanced nursing practice degree
- Must plan to complete the DNP degree in three years (full-time)
- Preference to those who express a plan to practice with underserved populations and/or in rural communities
For new incoming students (non-Bentson Scholarship recipients):
- Step 1: Complete FAFSA by February 1.
- Step 2: Complete the Intent to Enroll form and pay School of Nursing enrollment deposit.
- Step 3: Submit scholarship application by May 1.
For current/continuing DNP students (non-Bentson Scholarship recipients):
- Step 1: Complete FAFSA by February 1.
- Step 2: Submit scholarship application by May 1.
Bentson Scholarship recipients do not need to complete the scholarship application in order to receive that funding each year.
Award Notification and Next Steps
If a student is awarded a School of Nursing scholarship, they will need to be aware of a few steps and dates within the awarding process.
- Award notifications will be sent via email at the beginning of July. These emails will indicate the amount of scholarship funding and the specific scholarships the student is receiving.
- Scholarship recipients are required to write a thank you letter to their scholarships' specific donors. The letter is required to be sent by the middle of August.
- Funds will be dispersed into the student's account at the beginning of each semester. Students are strongly encouraged to check and double check their accounts to ensure the amounts and scholarship names match what was indicated in their award notification. If there is a discrepency, please contact the Office of Student and Career Advancements Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 612-625-7980.
- Students are encouraged to attend the annual Dean's Scholarship Reception in October. RSVPs are required and the link will be provided in the award notification.
More information and details are provided on the Scholarship Recipient Frequently Asked Questions page.
Unfortunately, not all students applying will receive School of Nursing scholarships. If able, students are encouraged to apply again the following years. More information about the scholarship process may be helpful. Additionally, students are strongly encouraged to frequently pursue external scholarships and funding to support their nursing education.