The purpose of the study is to understand how community and social stressors affect your health (mental well-being and behavioral choices). Your responses will help us identify stressors that affect adolescent health and develop a culturally appropriate program to help other immigrant youth acquire effective coping skills.
You will be asked questions on how culture influences health behavior choices and your sense of well-being. All responses will be kept confidential.
Participants will receive a $20 gift card for completing the survey.
You may be eligible to participate if:
- You are a Somali youth between the ages of 13 – 18 years or
- The parent/guardian of a Somali youth age 13 - 18
- You do not plan to move to another state / country in the following year.
You will be asked to:
- Complete a one-time, 40 – 60 minute survey online or on paper.
- Participate in a focus group discussion for 60 minutes (Optional).
University of Minnesota School of Nursing
6-180 Weaver-Densford Hall
308 Harvard St. SE Minneapolis, MN 55455
Phone: (612) 624–9605
Phone: (612) 442-4219
The PECAY research team is led by Eunice M. Areba, PhD, RN, PHN at the School of Nursing in collaboration with Myriam Forster, PhD, and Barbara Peterson, PhD, RN, CNS at Community-University Health Care Center (CUHCC).