Course Evaluation & Petitions
The Course Equivalency Petition form is for prospective pre-licensure and Certificate program students and admitted/current students in all programs who would like an exemption from, or substitute for, a nursing prerequisite or required course based upon previous coursework and/or experience. A separate form must be used for each course requirement you want evaluated.
Please note: for DNP and PhD programs, this form will only be reviewed for admitted/current students; we do not review Course Equivalency Petitions for prospective DNP and PhD students.
All requests must include:
- An unofficial copy of relevant transcript(s) (APAS reports not accepted)
- A copy of the syllabus (required for admitted/current student petitions) or the course description (acceptable for prospective students) from the school where the course was or will be taken
- If you are trying to gain exemption from a course based upon experience, you will need to provide your resume/CV and additional supporting material that proves you are proficient in the subject matter
You can fill out the form from within your web browser and print it, but it cannot be submitted online.
- You may use either the Tab key or the mouse to move from field to field.
- You must complete and print the entire document before logging out of Adobe Acrobat. Depending on the type of browser you use, you may not be able to save an incomplete form. If you log out before the form is completed, you may lose your work.
- To print the form, be sure that the cursor has been clicked outside the text boxes. The information you've entered on the form may not print if the cursor is activated inside any text box.
The evaluation could take up to 4 weeks, so please plan accordingly. Please send forms and supporting documentation to:
U of MN School of Nursing – OSCAS
5-160 Weaver-Densford Hall
308 Harvard Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
If you are a current student and need to withdraw from or add a class past the drop/add deadline, or you are a prospective student and would like to petition an admission requirement please use the Academic Policy Petition.