Resources for Professionals
PAD PRAIRIE Initiative
Promoting Healthy Aging and Mobility in Rural Minnesota (PRAIRIE)
Peripheral artery disease (PAD) is now known to be associated with equal morbidity and mortality and comparable (or higher) health economic costs as coronary heart disease (CHD) and ischemic stroke. Yet where surveyed, the public and clinicians (as well as health payers and government agencies) do not yet fully recognize the risks associated with PAD.
What is the PAD PRAIRIE Initiative?
The University of Minnesota School of Nursing is partnering with rural Minnesota communities to offer resources aimed at enhancing the independent functioning and quality of life of older adults with PAD.
The goals of the initiative are to:
- Promote community awareness of PAD
- Facilitate screening and diagnosis of PAD
- Provide supervised exercise therapy for individuals with PAD
Management of Patients With Peripheral Artery Disease
American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines
A Call to Action: Women and Peripheral Artery Disease
American Heart Association
Measurement and Interpretation of the Ankle-Brachial Index
American Heart Association
2010 Performance Performance Measures for Adults With Peripheral Artery Disease
- Mahoney EM, Wang K, Cohen DJ, Hirsch AT, Alberts MJ, Eagle K, Mosse F, Jackson JD, Steg PG, Bhatt DL; REACH Registry Investigators. One-year costs in patients with a history of or at risk for atherothrombosis in the United States. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2008;1:38–45.
- Hirsch AT, Hartman L, Town RJ, Virnig BA. National health care costs of peripheral arterial disease in the Medicare population. Vasc Med. 2008;13:209–215.
- Hirsch AT, Murphy TP, Lovell MB, Twillman G, Treat-Jacobson D, Harwood EM, Mohler ER 3rd., Creager MA, Hobson RW 2nd., Robertson RM, Howard WJ, Schroeder P, Criqui MH; Peripheral Arterial Disease Coalition. Gaps in public knowledge of peripheral arterial disease: the first national PAD public awareness survey. Circulation. 2007;116:2086–2094.
- Research Day 2021
- Research Projects
- ACT Trial
- Advancing Higher Education for Afghanistan's Development (AHEAD)
- Clinical Teaching in Nursing Homes
- Culturally Responsive Nursing Care for American Indian Elders
- Families Preventing Diabetes Together
- Get a Head Start on Asthma
- HOME Plus
- Indian Family Stories Project
- Integrative Mental Health Care Orientation Modules
- Knee Osteoarthritis Study
- PAACE Trial
- PAD PRAIRIE
- Preparing Heart and Mind
- Prime Time
- Yoga for Parkinson's Disease
- Faculty Grants
- Faculty Experts
- Research Seminars
- About the Office of Nursing Research and Scholarship
- Laboratory of Clinical Exercise Physiology
- Student Research Resources