Preceptor, Faculty, and Student Roles and Responsibilities
Setting up a clinical learning experience for students involves the faculty member, the clinical preceptor, and the students.
- Maintains licensure or certification as appropriate to position.
- Negotiates dates and times for student clinical experiences and is present or arranges for a qualified substitute.
- Reviews objectives for clinical experience and determines feasibility of meeting them.
- Assists student in meeting and modifying clinical learning objectives as needed.
- Assesses student's learning style and needs in relation to the objectives of the clinical experience.
- Serves as a host, sponsor, teacher and role model for student at clinical site.
- Orients student to clinical agency.
- Selects, with student, clinical experiences appropriate to objectives.
- Intervenes where appropriate to manage situations beyond the student's ability.
- Evaluates student's care while providing immediate feedback.
- Follows organization's policies regarding required documentation.
- Contacts faculty if there are any problems with student.
- Evaluates the student verbally and in writing and provides for direction and time for improvement.
- Meets with student and faculty members prior to the clinical experience.
- Communicate with faculty about student performance at least once during course, and provides ongoing information about the experience.
Faculty and School
- Selects clinical learning experiences that match interests, strengths and experiences of both student and preceptor.
- Negotiate and secure clinical affiliation agreements with the clinical agency. This takes place between the Clinical Coordinator and the Clinic Manager or Education contact at the site.
- Validates completion of student health requirements, licensure, C.P.R. certification, and criminal background check.
- Clarifies expectations of the preceptor.
- Provides preceptor with course outlines, objectives, student assignments and student evaluation forms.
- Designate one faculty member as having overall responsibility for the student clinical experience.
- Continue to communicate with clinical preceptors through phone conversation, meeting, and site visits. The frequency may vary.
- Meets with student and preceptor at least once during student's clinical experience.
- Is available to preceptor for questions, problems and concerns that may come up during the clinical experience.
- Provides feedback to both the student and the preceptor.
- Clarifies course objectives with preceptor and discusses student performance.
- Develops individual learning objectives for the clinical experience.
- Completes all clinical and course assignments.
- Meets with preceptor prior to clinical experience to discuss details and logistics of the clinical experience.
- Is prepared and punctual in the clinical area on scheduled days and times.
- Schedules any make-up time at the convenience of preceptor after notifying faculty and preceptor of schedule changes.
- Participates in ongoing evaluations of self, preceptor and faculty.
- Maintains client confidentiality.
- Maintains liability insurance, R.N. licensure, C.P.R. certification and completes all health requirements and background check.