Minnesota Nursing magazine
Building on the new
It is with great excitement and enthusiasm that I begin this new academic year serving as president of the Alumni Society Board. To me, a new year means new dreams and opportunities to make a difference in the lives of others. In the year ahead, I look forward to helping build on the Alumni Society’s strong foundation and to advance its important work in supporting the School of Nursing’s alumni, students, faculty and staff.
I would like to acknowledge the leadership and work of the Alumni Board over the past year. Under the leadership of Past President Alice Sanders, the Alumni Society Board collaborated with School of Nursing leadership to review and reflect on the board’s role and affirm a vision and key strategies for the alumni relations program. I thank Alice for being a wonderful role model and for her thoughtful leadership.
The Alumni Society provided services and programs to alumni, students and faculty to advance the new vision. Some of the successes during the year included:
- Over 120 alumni, students, faculty and friends participated in the All Class Reunion.
- Fifty-four students participated in the Speed Mentoring Program.
- A new nurse mentor program provided mentors for 23 Master of Nursing graduates.
Looking ahead, the Alumni Society Board, in partnership with the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, will continue to advance its vision to “grow an alumni relations program that creates opportunities for students and alumni to grow personally and professionally by engaging them with fellow alums, the School of Nursing and the University of Minnesota.”
As a member of an alumni community that is more than 10,000 strong, you play a key role in helping to advance the vision. You can make a difference in four ways:
- Welcome and engage undergraduate and graduate students as alumni throughout their time on campus.
- Volunteer to be a mentor or preceptor, help BSN seniors with writing a resume and cover letter, or facilitate connections between alumni.
- Participate in Service Day, Speed Mentoring and Nursing Research Day.
- Help create an All Class Reunion that incorporates professional and personal learning and networking opportunities for all alumni and friends.
Thank you for making a difference in the lives of our students, faculty, alumni and our communities!
Karen MacDonald, MS ’87, BSN ‘72
President, Alumni Society