Adult/Gerontological Clinical Nurse Specialist
Students will be prepared to lead and guide the management of complex health conditions, working with nurses and organizations to provide care to adults and elders in a variety of settings.
What Makes Our Program Distinct?
Each Adult/Gerontological Clinical Nurse Specialist student’s program of study is individualized through clinical placements and assignments to match the student’s interests.
Each student benefits from a variety of clinical rotations with outstanding clinical leaders who are committed to each student’s education.
Faculty are nationally and internationally known for their teaching and research. Students have opportunities for involvement in research with the Center for Aging Science and Care Innovation and the Minnesota Center on Aging.
Students have the opportunity to specialize in a subspecialty area such as cardiology, critical care, or palliative care.
Our graduates are prepared to:
- Conduct comprehensive holistic wellness and illness assessments using known or innovative evidence-based techniques and tools
- Prescribe pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions, nursing therapeutics, diagnostic measures, procedures and treatments to meet the needs of patients, families and groups
- Use leadership, team building, negotiation and conflict resolutions skills to build partnerships within and across systems including the community
- Integrate evidence into the health, illness and wellness management of patients, families, communities and groups
- Provide leadership in the design, implementation and evaluation of process improvement initiatives
Length and Commitment
3-year, Full-time Program
Each semester students attend 4-day session (Tuesday–Friday) on campus that includes core courses, enhancement programming, specialty courses and advisor meetings. Beginning the second year of the program students meet on campus 2 additional times per semester for 1–2 days each time for coursework
Complete approximately 1,000 hours at clinical sites arranged by the school