Taking a Course Before Admission
Individuals may register for select graduate-level courses at the University of Minnesota for professional development or personal enrichment prior to admission to the School of Nursing.
Eligibility: You must have a completed bachelor's degree and hold a nursing license to be eligible for enrollment in School of Nursing graduate-level courses.
The School of Nursing allows up to 12 credits of graduate-level coursework taken as a non-degree student to be applied to the Doctor of Nursing Practice. Coursework taken as a non-degree student may or may not be accepted by a graduate program at another institution, depending on the policies of that institution.
In addition, all non-degree coursework is considered transfer work. The Graduate School and School of Nursing permit no more than 40% of the coursework on the final degree plan to be transfer work.
- NURS 5115: Interprofessional Health Care Informatics
- NURS 6200: Science of Nursing Intervention
- NURS 6110/PUBH 6320: Epidemiology in Nursing/Fundamentals of Epidemiology
- NURS 7610: Health Innovation Leadership
- NURS 7400: Health Policy Leadership
Prior to the start of the DNP program, you may register for any of the available courses listed on the following conditions:
- The course has available space and is offered in your desired term
- You have successfully completed the prerequisites if needed
- You enroll in the appropriate section of the course. You must take the appropriate section of the course related to the DNP program you are admitted to as it is noted on the Class Schedule website.
Note: Non-degree students may not register for clinical courses.
Submitting a registration request
To register for a graduate-level nursing course as a non-degree student, follow these steps:
- Download the Request for Graduate Credit (for non-degree students) form from the One Stop website.
- Using the One Stop Class Schedule tool, view prerequisites and class availability for the course you wish to take from the list provided above. Note the class number and section for that course. The class number is the red five-digit number located just to the right of the "add now" button on the screen. Each section of a course has its own class number so be sure you are listing the number that corresponds to the appropriate section.
- Contact the course instructor to obtain a permission number. The instructor name is listed on the Class Schedule web site after the date/time of the course. Faculty contact information can be found on the School of Nursing website. Permission numbers are issued only by instructors.
- Complete the Registration Request for Graduate Credit (for non-degree students) form indicating class number, grade-basis (A-F or S/N), credits, subject/catalog number (example: NURS 5115) and section, and permission number. Remember to sign the form. Registration will be delayed if any information is missing. You must complete a separate form for each term of enrollment.
- Submit the completed form to the School of Nursing Office of Student & Career Advancement Services. In your communication, indicate which program you have/intend to apply to.
U of MN School of Nursing - OSCAS
2-139 Weaver-Densford Hall
308 Harvard Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
NOTE: If the course is not a NURS course, you will need to submit the completed form to the department offering the course rather than the School of Nursing. For example, for the statistics course EPsy 5261, you need to submit your form to the Educational Psychology Department.
Processing your registration request
Once you submit your completed registration request form to the School of Nursing, it will be reviewed, signed, and sent on to the Office of the Registrar (OTR) for processing. Do not send your form directly to OTR as it needs a nursing department signature.
OTR will process non-degree students' registration forms once the open registration period begins. For registration dates, view the One Stop registration queue.
You may submit your form prior to open registration, but OTR will not process the forms early.
Completion of the Registration Request for Graduate Credit (for non-degree students) form does not guarantee enrollment in a course. Courses can close between the time a student submits the form and the time it is processed.
You will receive an email from OTR within five (5) days of processing your request. If the course has closed, OTR will contact you and advise you on how to proceed.
My registration request was approved ... Now what?
Once you receive a confirmation email from the Office of the Registrar, your registration is complete and you will be given a student ID number and directed to set up your U of M email and internet accounts.
Your tuition bill will be sent to your University of Minnesota email account and tuition is paid through the secure online UM Pay system.
As a non-degree student, your tuition must be paid in full by the first due date of the term.
For more information about UM Pay visit their website or contact One Stop Student Services at 612-624-1111.
If you have registered for an online course, contact the instructor for information about access and requirements for the course.