Melissa D. Avery, PhD, APRN, CNM, FACNM, FAAN
Professor, School of Nursing
Professor, School of Nursing
PhD, University of Minnesota (Nursing), 1993
MSN, University of Kentucky (Nursing/Nurse-Midwifery), 1981
BS, Northern Illinois University (Nursing),1976
RN, Northern Illinois University, 1976
Child and Family Health
Center for Child and Family Health Promotion Research
Increasing women’s confidence for physiologic labor and birth; vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC); exercise in pregnancy; exercise and gestational diabetes; breastfeeding; outcomes of nurse-midwifery care; technology enhanced learning, interprofessional education and practice.
Research Funding Grants
Selected Research and Education Grants:
Title of Project: Developing confidence for physiologic birth: Women’s perceptions of prenatal influences. Funding transferred from President’s Multicultural Research Award. 2014-2015. Role: PI
Title of Project: Effect of exercise and wellness interventions on preventing postpartum depression.
Funding Agency: NIMH, Role: Co-Investigator
Project dates: 9/2012 – 9/2016.
Title of Project: Promoting Excellence in APRN Education: A Regional Approach to Quality, Safety and Diversity.
Funding Agency: HRSA, Bureau of Health Professions, Division of Nursing.
Role: Co-I, Interim PI
Project Dates: 7/2011–6/2015.
Title of Project: Diet and Exercise Intervention to Prevent Gestational Diabetes in Native American Women
Funded under CDC
Role: Co-Principal Investigator
Project Dates: 9/2009-2011
Title of Project: Exercise for American Indian Women with Gestational Diabetes: A Pilot Study.
Funded under NIH/NINR; P-20 Center for Health Trajectory Research, pilot
Role: Principal Investigator
Title of Project: Helping Women Achieve Healthy Weight Gain in Pregnancy
Funding Agency: UCare MN
Project Dates: 7/1/07-6/30/08
Title of Project: Development of an Exercise Intervention for American Indian Women with Gestational Diabetes: A Community-Based Approach
Funding Agency: American College of Nurse Midwives Foundation
Role: Principal Investigator
Project Dates: 07/06-12/07
Title of Project: Technology Enhanced Learning in Graduate Education
Funding Agency: DHHS/HRSA
Project Dates: 9/1/04-6/30/08
Title of Project: Health Education Priorities: Perspectives from Women's Voices
Funding Agency: UMN Council on Public Engagement (COPE)
Role: Director, Outreach
Project Dates: 1/04-12/05
Title of Project: Outcomes of Nurse-Midwifery Care of Women Choosing Vaginal Birth After Previous Cesarean Section: Pilot Study
Funding Agency: American College of Nurse-Midwives Foundation
Role: Principal Investigator
Project Dates: 2/02-1/04
- Lewis, B.A., Schuver, K., Gjerdingen, D., Avery, M., Sirard, J., & Marcus, B.H. (2015). The Relationship between Prenatal Antidepressant Use and the Decision to Breastfeed among Women Enrolled in a Randomized Exercise Intervention Trial. Journal of Human Lactation. 1-6. DOI: 10.1177/0890334415592153.
- Miller, J., Avery, M., Larson, K., Woll, A., VonAchen, A., Mortenson, A. (2015). Emergency birth hybrid simulation with standardized patients in midwifery education: Implementation and evaluation. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health.
- Kozhimannil KB, Attanasio LB, Yang YT, Avery MD, Declercq E. Midwifery care and patient-provider communication in maternity decisions. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2015 Feb 10 doi: 10.1007/s10995 – 015 – 1671 – 8 [Epub ahead of print].
- King VJ, Fontaine PL, Atwood LA, Powers E, Leeman L, Ecker JL, Avery MD, Sakala C, Campos-Outcalt D, Jeffcott-Pera M, Schoof B. (2015.) Clinical practice guideline executive summary: Labor after cesarean/planned vaginal birth after cesarean. Ann Fam Med, 13(1), 80-81.
- Avery, M, Saftner, M, Larson, B, Weinfurter, E. (2014). Characteristics of prenatal care to increase maternal confidence for physiologic birth: a systematic review. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health.
- Lewis, B.A., Gjerdingen, D., Avery, M., Sirard, J., Guo, H., Schuver, K. & Marcus, B.H. (2014). A Randomized Trial Examining a Physical Activity Intervention for the Prevention of Postpartum Depression: The Healthy Mom Trial. Mental Health & Physical Activity. 7, 42-49. doi: 10.1016/j.mhpa.2013.11.002
- Phillipi, J., & Avery, MD. (2014). The 2012 American College of Nurse-Midwives Core Competencies for Basic Midwifery Practice: History and Revision. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health. 59(1), 82-90.
- Cook, E., Avery, M., Frisvold, M. (2014). Formulating evidence-based guidelines for CNMs and CMs attending home births. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health. 59(2), 153-159.
- Avery, M.D, Montgomery, O., Brandl-Salutz, E. (2012). Essential components of successful collaborative maternity care models: The ACOG-ACNM project. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America, 39, 423-34.
- Kozhimannil, K.B., Avery, M.D., Terrell, C.A. (2012). Recent trends in clinicians providing care to pregnant women in the United States. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 57: 433-38.
- Lewis, B.A, Djerdigan, D.K., Avery, M.D., Guo, H., Sirard, J., Bonikowske, A.R., Marcus, B. (2012). Examination of a telephone-based exercise intervention for the prevention of postpartum depression: Design, methodology and baseline data from The Healthy Mom study. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 33, 1150-58.
- Avery, M., Hamilton-Escoto, K., Gilchrist, L., Peden-McAlpine, C. (2011). Health Education Priorities: Perspectives from Women's Voices. Health Care for Women International, 32, 887-900.
- Lewis, B.A., Martinson, B., Sherwood, N., Avery, M. (2011). A Pilot Study Evaluating a Telephone-Based Exercise Intervention for Pregnant and Postpartum Women. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 56, 127-31.
- Avery, M.; Germano, E., Camune, B. (2010). Midwifery practice and nursing regulation: Licensure, accreditation, certification and education. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 55, 411-14.
- Axtell, S., Avery, M., Westra, B. (2010). Community-University Collaboration to Improve Cultural Competence in a Graduate Nursing Curriculum. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 21, 183-191.
- Avery, Melissa M.; Cohen, Bradley A.; and Walker, J. D. (2008). Evaluation of an Online Graduate Nursing Curriculum: Examining Standards of Quality, International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship: Vol. 5 : Iss. 1,Article 44.
- Available at: http://www.bepress.com/ijnes/vol5/iss1/art44
- Pfeiffer, J, Avery, M., Benbenek, M, Prepas, R, Summers, L, Wachdorf, C, O'Boyle, C. (2008). Maternal and Newborn Care During Disasters: Thinking Outside the Hospital Paradigm. Nursing Clinics of North America, 43, 449-467.
- Lewis, B.A., Avery, M., Jennings, E., Sherwood, N., Martinson, B., and Crain, A. L. (2008). Effect of exercise during pregnancy on maternal and newborn outcomes: Practical implications for practice. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, 2, 441-455.
- Anderson, K. & Avery, M. (2008). Faculty teaching time: A comparison of web-based and face-to-face graduate nursing courses. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, Vol. 5: Iss. 1, Article 2. Available at:http://www.bepress.com/ijnes/vol5/iss1/art2
- Avery, M. & Howe, C. (2007). The DNP and entry into midwifery practice: An analysis. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 52, 14-22.
- Avery, M. & Baum, K. (2006). Endocrine disorders. In Primary Care for Midwives, Hackley, B. & Kriebs, J. Eds. Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Avery, M. (2005). The history and evolution of the core competencies for basic midwifery practice. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, 50(2), 102-107.
- Avery, M., Carr, C. A., & Burkhardt, P. (2004). Vaginal birth after cesarean section: A pilot study of outcomes in women receiving midwifery care. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, 49(2), 113-117.
- Bata-Jones, B., & Avery, M. (2004). Teaching pharmacology to graduate nursing students: Evaluation and comparison of web-based and face-to-face methods. Journal of Nursing Education, 43(4), 185-189.
- Avery, M., Ringdahl, D., Juve, C., & Plumbo, P. (2003). The transition to web-based education: Enhancing access to graduate education for women's health providers. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, 48(6), 418-425.
- Carr, C. A., Burkhardt, P., & Avery, M. (2002). Vaginal birth after cesarean birth: A national survey of U.S. midwifery practice. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, 47(5), 347-352.
- Avery, M., & Walker, A. (2001). Acute effect of exercise on blood glucose and insulin levels in women with gestational diabetes. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, 10, 52-58.
- Avery, M., Franzich, C.R. & Duckett, L. (2000). The Experience of sexuality during breastfeeding among primiparous women. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 45, (3), 227-237.
- Duckett, L., Henly, S., Avery, M., Potter, S., Hills-Bonczyk, S., Hulden, R., & Savik, K. (1998). A theory of planned behavior-based structural model for breastfeeding. Nursing Research, 47, 325-336.
- Avery, M., Leon. A.S., Kopher, R.A. (1997). Effect of a partially home-based exercise program for women with gestational diabetes. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 89, 10-15.
Academic Interests and Focus
Certified Nurse Midwife, 1981 - present