Laura J. Duckett, PhD, MPH, RN
Associate Professor, School of Nursing
Associate Professor, School of Nursing
PhD, University of Minnesota (Educational Psychology), 1983
MHP, University of Minnesota (Maternal and Child Health), 2001; MS, University of Maryland (Maternal Child Nursing), 1975
BSN, Duke University (Nursing), 1967
Population Health and Systems
Center for Child and Family Health Promotion Research
Center for Spirituality and Healing
Breastfeeding and mother’s milk feeding for full-term and premature infants; breastfeeding and maternal employment; breastfeeding and infant health; infant growth; maternal, infant and family health during the first postpartum year; complementary healing practices for premature infants; parent-infant attachment; moral reasoning development; theory of planned behavior and health promotion. (Recent grants and selected publications are listed below.)
Research Funding Grants
Research and Education Grants:
Title of Project: Newly Independent States Multi-Country Partnerships Program for Nursing Education and Leadership Development
Funding Agency: American International Health Alliance (USAID Prime)
Role: Co-Investigator (Sandy Edwardson, PI)
Project Dates: 03/2004-09/2006
Title of Project: Barriers and Facilitators to Exclusive and Prolonged Breastfeeding Among Mexican Immigrant Mothers
Funding Agency: University of Minnesota Obesity Center
Role: Co-Investigator (Margaret Kersey Isaacson, PI)
Title of Project: Mother's Milk Feeding for Diverse Populations
Funding Agency: Radke Family Foundation (prime)
Role: Principal Investigator
Project Dates: 9/03-6/04
Title of Project: Mother's Milk Feeding for Diverse Preterm/Low-birth-weight Infants (Pilot Study)
Funding Agency: Department of Pediatrics, Hennepin County Medical Center
Role: Co-Principal Investigator
Project Dates: 6/1/02-10/31/02
Title of Project: Lifetime Abuse, Health Risk Behaviors, and Health Care Utilization
Funding Agency: Subcontract with Allina Health Systems Foundation with Medica Choice Care funding
Project Dates: 9/1/00-4/1/01
Title of Project: Violence Against Women: Health Care Costs, Screening and Intervention
Funding Agency: Allina Health Systems Foundation
Project Dates: 2000
- Dodgson, J. E., Henly, S. J., Duckett, L., & Tarrant, M. (2003). Theory of planned behavior-based models for breastfeeding duration among Hong Kong mothers. Nursing Research, 52(3), 148-158.
- Dodgson, J. E., Duckett, L., Garwick, A., & Graham, B. L. (2002). An ecological perspective of breastfeeding in an indigenous community. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 34(3), 235-241.
- O'Boyle, C.A., Henly, S.J., & Duckett, L.J. (2001) Nurses' motivation to wash their hands. Applied Nursing Research, 14, 136-145.
- Kaas, M., Block, D., Avery, M., Lindeke, L., Kubik, M., Duckett, L., & Vellenga, B. (2001). Technology-Enhanced Distance Education: From Experimentation to Concerted Action. Journal of Professional Nursing, 17(3), 135-140.
- Avery, M., Frantzich, C.J.R., Duckett, L. (2000). The experience of sexuality during breastfeeding among primiparous women. Journal of Nurse-Midwifery and Womens Health, 45 (3), 227-237.
- Dodgson, J., Allard-Hale, C.J., Bramscher, A., Brown, F., & Duckett, L. (1999). Adherence to the ten steps of the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative in Minnesota hospitals. Birth, 26 (4), 239-247.
- Avery, M., Duckett, L., Dodgson, J., Savik, K., & Henly, S. (1998). Factors associated with very early weaning among primiparas intending to breastfeed. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 2 (3), 167-179.
- Duckett, L., Henly, S., Avery, M., Potter, S., Hills-Bonczyk, S., Hulden, R. & Savik, K. (1998). A theory of planned behavior-based structural model for breastfeeding. Nursing Research, 47 (6), 325-336.
- Henly, S. J., Vermeersch, P., & Duckett, L. (1998). Model selection for covariance structures analysis in nursing.Western Journal of Nursing Research, 20 (3), 344-355.
- Ryden, M., Duckett, L., Crisham, P., Caplan, A., & Schmitz, K. (1998). Multi-course sequential learning as a model for content integration. International Nursing Review, Japanese Edition, 21 (5), 63-68. (1989 publication translated into Japanese.)
- Karni, K., Duckett, L., Garloff, D., Larson, T., Garrard, J., Thawley, D., & Franks, R. (1998). Key elements and processes needed in clinical laboratory science curriculum design and redesign. Clinical Laboratory Science, 11 (2), 70-77.
- Karni, K., Duckett, L. (1998). Curriculum design: Questions to ask. Clinical Laboratory Science, 11 (2), 78-81.
- Dodgson, J., & Duckett, L. (1997). Building a program to support breastfeeding women in the workplace. American Association of Occupational Health Nursing Journal, 45 (6), 290-297.
- Duckett, L., Rowan, M., Ryden, M., Krichbaum, K., Miller, M., Savik, K., & Wainwright, H. (1997). Progress in moral reasoning of baccalaureate nursing students between program entry and graduation. Nursing Research, 46 (4), 222-229.