Jean F. Wyman, PhD, RN, APRN, GNP-BC, FAAN, FGSA
Co-Director, Deborah E. Powell Center for Women's Health
Co-Director, Deborah E. Powell Center for Women's Health
Professor and Cora Meidl Siehl Chair in Nursing Research, School of Nursing
Center for Aging Science and Care Innovation
Gerontological Nurse Practitioner
PhD, University of Washington (Curriculum and Instruction), 1979
MN, University of Washington (Physiological Nursing), 1973
BSN, Marquette University (Nursing), 1971
Co-operative Membership Center Membership
Urinary incontinence outcomes and management; fall prevention and exercise in the elderly.
Research Funding Grants
Research and Education Grants:
Title of Project: Disparities in Incontinence and Perineal Skin Damage in Nursing Home Elders
Funding Agency: NINR/NIH
Project Dates: 9/30/09-6/30/14
Title of Project: Urinary Incontinence and Breast Cancer Survivors: A Controlled Comparison
Funding Agency: NCI/NIH
Role: Senior Mentor
Project Dates: 8/1/09-7/31/11
Title of Project: Validating Clinical Measures of Executive Function in U.S. Veterans
Funding Agency: Academic Health Center, University of Minnesota
Project Dates: 7/1/09-6/30/10
Title of Project: Urinary Incontinence
Funding Agency: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Project Dates: 4/1/09-3/31/11
Title of Project: Feasibility and Impact of Aerobic Exercise in Alzheimer's Disease
Funding Agency: American Health Assistance Foundation
Project Dates: 4/1/09-3/31/11
Title of Project: Exercise Training to Reduce Claudication: Arm Ergometry Versus Treadmill Walking
Funding Agency: NHLBI/NIH
Project Dates: 9/15/08-4/30/13
Title of Project: Minnesota Center of Geriatric Nursing ExcellenceFunding Agency: John A. Hartford Foundation
Role: Center Director
Project Dates: 10/1/07-9/30/12
Title of Project: University of Minnesota Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
Funding Agency: NIH/NICHD
Role: Program Director
Project Dates: 9/24/07-9/23/12
Title of Project: Center for Health Trajectory Research
Funding Agency: NIH/NINR (P20)
Role: Principal Investigator
Project Dates: 6/22/2005-4/30/2010
- Wyman, J.F., Harding, G., Klutke, C., Burgio, K., Berriman, S., Vats, V., et al. (In press). Contributors to satisfaction with combined drug and behavioral therapy for overactive bladder in subjects dissatisfied with prior drug treatment.Journal of WOCN.
- Krichbaum, K., Kaas, M., Mueller, C., & Wyman, J. (In press). Teaching the teacher: The Faculty Learning About Geriatrics (FLAG) Program. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing.Wyman, J.F., Burgio, K.L., & Newman, D.K. (2009). Practical aspects of lifestyle modifications and behavioral interventions in the treatment of overactive bladder and urinary incontinence. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 63. 1177-1191.
- Schwartz, B., Wyman, J.F., Thomas, W., Schwartenzberg, B. (2009). Urinary incontinence in obsese adolescent girls.Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 5, 445-450.
- Findorff, M.J., Wyman, J.F., Gross, C.R. (2009). Predictors of long-term exercise adherence in a community-based sample of older women. Journal of Womens Health, 18, 1769-1776.
- Shamliyan, T.A., Wyman, J.F., et al. (2009). Male urinary incontinence, prevalence, risk factors, and preventative interventions. Reviews in Urology, 11, 145-165.
- Klutke, C.G., Burgio, K.L., Wyman, J.F., et al. (2009). Combined effects of behavioral intervention and tolterodine in subjects dissatisfied with their overactive bladder medication. Journal of Urology, 181, 2599-2607.
- Gaugler, J.E., Yu, F., Krichbaum, K., Wyman, J.F. (2009). Predictors of nursing home admission for persons with dementia: A systematic review. Medical Care, 47, 191-198.
- Talley, M.C., Wyman, J.F., & Gross, C.R. (2008). Psychometric properties of the Activities-Specific Balance Confidence Scale and the Survey of Activities and Fear of Falling in older women. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 56, 328-333.
- Lackner, T.E., Wyman, J.F., McCarthy, T.C., et al. (2008). Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of the cognitive effect, residents with urge urinary incontinence. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 56, 862-870.
- Shamliyan, T.A., Kane, R.L., Wyman, J., Wilt T. (2008). Systematic review: randomized controlled trials of nonsurgical treatments for urinary incontinence in women. Annals of Internal Medicine, 148, 459-473.
- Cheung, C.K., Wyman, J.F., & Halcon, L. (2007). Use of complementary/alternative therapies in community-dwelling older adults. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 13, 997-1006.
- Findorff, M.J., Stock, H.H., Gross, C.R., & Wyman, J.F. (2007). Does the Transtheoretical Model (TTM) explain exercise behavior in a community-based sample of older women? Journal of Aging and Health, 19, 985-1003.
- Nachreiner, N.M., Findorff, M.J., Wyman, J.F., et al. (2007). Circumstances and consequences of falls in community-dwelling older women. Journal of Women's Health, 16, 1437-1446.
- Wyman, J.F., Croghan, C.F., Nachreiner, N.M., Gross, C.R., Talley, K., Stock, H.H.,, et al. (2007). Effectiveness of education and individualized counseling in reducing environmental hazards in the homes of community-dwelling older women. Journal of hte American Geriatrics Society, 55, 1548-1556.
- Lindquist, R., Wyman, J.F., Findorff, M.J., & Gross, C.R., (2007). Design of control group conditions in clinical trials of behavioral interventions. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 39, 214-221.
- Findorff, M.J., Wyman, J.F., Nyman, J.A., Croghan, C.F. (2007). Measuring the direct health care costs of a fall injury event in a community-based sample of older women. Nursing Research, 56, 283-287.
- Cheung, C.K., Wyman, J.F., Gross, C.R., et al. (2006). Exercise behavior in older adults: A test of the Transtheoretical Model. Journal of Physical Activity and Aging, 15, 103-118.
- Wyman, J., Gross, C., DiFabio, R., Nyman, J., Lindquist, R., McCarthy, T., et al. (2005). A randomized trial of exercise, education, and risk reduction counseling to prevent falls in population-based sample of older women [Abstract]. The Gerontologist, 45(Special Issue II), 297.
- Findorff, M. J., Wyman, J. F., Croghan, C. F., & Nyman, J. A. (2005). Use of time studies for determining intervention costs. Nursing Research, 54(4), 280-284.
- Wyman, J. F., Bliss, D. Z., Dougherty, M. C., Gray, M., Kaas, M., Newman, D. K., et al. (2004). Shaping future directions for incontinence research in aging adults: Executive summary. Nursing Research, 53(6S), S1-S10.
- Wyman, J. F. (2003). Treatment of urinary incontinence in men and older women: The evidence shows the efficacy of a variety of techniques. The American Journal of Nursing, 103(Suppl. 3), 26-35.
- Brown, J. S., McNaughton, K. S., Wyman, J. F., Burgio, K. L., Harkaway, R., Bergner, D., et al. (2003). Measurement characteristics of a voiding diary for use by men and women with overactive bladder. Urology, 61(4), 802-809.
- DiFabio, R. P., Greany, J. F., Emasithi, A., & Wyman, J. F. (2002). Eye-hand coordination during postural perturbation as a predictor of falls in community-dwelling elderly women. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 83(7), 942-951.
- Theofrastous, J. P., Wyman, J. F., Bump, R. C., McClish, D. K., Elser, D. M., Bland, D. R., et al. (2002). Effects of pelvic floor muscle training on strength and predictors of response in the treatment of urinary incontinence. Neurourology and Urodynamics, 21(5), 486-490.
- Barber, M.D., Visco, A.G., Wyman, J.F., Fantl, J.A., & Bump, R.C. (2002). Sexual function in women with urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 99, 281-289.
- Ford-Smith, C., Wyman, J.F., Elswick, R.K., Fernandez, T. (2001). Reliability of a stationary dynamometer muscle strength testing in community-dwelling older adults. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 82, 1128-1132.
- Brown, J. S., Vittinghoff, E., Wyman, J. F., Stone, K. L., Nevitt, M. C., Ensrud, K. E., et al. (2000). Urinary incontinence: Does it Increase Risk for Falls and Fractures? Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 48, 721-725.
- Sampselle, C., Wyman, J.F., Newman, D.K., Thomas, K.T., Gray, M., Dougherty, M., et al. (2000). Continence for women: A test of AWHONN's evidence-based protocol in clinical practice. JOGNN, 29, 18-26. (Reprinted in Journal of WOCN, 27, 109-117.)
- Elser, D.M., Wyman, J.F., Robinson, D, et al. (1999). Behavioral therapy in women with urinary incontinence: The effect on urodynamic parameters. Neurourology and Urodynamics, 18, 427-436.
- Wyman, J.F., Fantl, J.A., McClish, D.K., & Bump, R.C. (1998). Comparative efficacy of behavioral interventions in the management of female urinary incontinence. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 179, 999-1007.
- Wyman, J.F., Fantl, J.A., McClish, D.K., et al. (1997). Quality of life following bladder training in older women with urinary incontinence. International Urogynecology Journal and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, 8, 223-229.
ANCC-Gerontological Nurse Practitioner, ANCC-Gerontological Clinical Nurse Specialist