Barbara Beacham, PhD, RN
Assistant Professor, Child and Family Heath Cooperative,
Assistant Professor, Child and Family Heath Cooperative
PhD, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, 2013
MSN, Seton Hall University (Pediatric Care Nurse Practioner), 2003
BSN, Thomas Edison State College (Nursing), 1998
AS, Helene Fuld School of Nursing, Mercer County Community College, 1994
Family management of children with chronic health conditions, development of self-care and health care autonomy, mixed methods
Research Funding Grants
Development of a Child Friendly Version of the Family Management Measure, 2018-2019
Horning, Melissa (PI)
Interdisciplinary Studies of Writing grant. University of Minnesota
Do Authentic Writing Environments in Nursing (AWE in Nursing) Improve Nursing Student Learning Outcomes? 2016-2018
Fulkerson, Jayne (PI)
Role: Co-Investigator, Family Management Measure Expertise; 5% Effort
University of Minnesota Foundation
Families Preventing Diabetes Together, 2015-2017
(T32NR007066-22) Indiana University: Training in Behavioral Nursing Research
S.M. Rawl, Principal Investigator
(1F31NR011524-01) Children with Chronic Health Conditions: Perceptions of Family Management, July, 2010 – December, 2012
Pre-doctoral Fellow, Center for Health Equity Research, The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
J.A. Deatrick, Sponsor
Leadership Education and Policy (LEAP) Development
The University of Pennsylvania School of NursingDr. Mary Lou de Leon Siantz, PhD, RN, FAAN, Program Director
Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (LEND) The Children’s Hospital of PhiladelphiaDr. Sharon Barton, mentor
Sigma Theta Tau, Xi Chapter Research Grant ($2,035),
Children with Chronic Conditions: Perceptions of Family Management
Pre-doctoral Fellow. Summer Nursing Research Institute
The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
Dr. Loretta Sweet-Jemmott and Dr. Janet Deatrick, Co-directors
(T32NR007100-10) Research on Vulnerable Women, Children, and Families.
J.A. Deatrick, Principal Investigator. Loretta S. Jemmott Co-Director
- Regueira, Y., Fargo, J.D., Tiller, D., Brown, K., Clements, C., Beacham, B., Brignone, E., & Sommers.(under review). Comparison of skin biomechanics and skin color in Puerto Rican and non-PuertoRican women. Puerto Rican Health Sciences Journal.
- Sommers, M.S., Fargo, J.D., Regueira, Y., Brown, K., Beacham, B., Perfetti, A., Everett, J., & Margolis, D.(under review). Are the Fitzpatrick skin phototypes valid for skin cancer risk assessment in a raciallyand ethnically diverse sample of women? Ethnicity and Disease.
- Landon, L. Crane, S. Nance, S, Stegenga, K., Cherven, B., Perez Prade, L. Butrum, K., Beacham, B.,Haase, J. (accepted for publication) Engaging Clinical Nurses in Research: Nurses’ExperiencesDelivering a Communication Intervention in a Behavioral Oncology Clinical Trial. Nursing Administration Quarterly.
- Beacham, B.L. & Deatrick, J.A. (Accepted for publication) Adapting the FamilyManagement StylesFramework to Include Children. Journal of Pediatric Nursing
- Horning, M. L., Schneider, R., Beacham, B.L., McKechnie, A. C., Kirk, L., Emery, D., Lindquist,R. (accepted for publication). Appreciation of the research-practice link: Using an authenticlearningenvironment for a writing-intensive nursing course. Nursing Education Perspectives
- Lucas, M.S., Brawner, B.M., Hardie, T.L., Beacham, B.L., Paidipati, C., Diaz, M., Lauer, A., Hobbie, W.L., Deatrick, J.A. (2015). Assessing suicidal ideation and behaviors among survivors of childhood brain tumors and their mothers during sociobehavioral research. Oncology Nursing Forum 42(5): E319-E329. DOI:10.1188/15.ONF.42-05AP. PMCID: PMC4548293.
- Beacham, B.L. & Deatrick, J.A. (2015). Children with chronic conditions: Perspectives on condition management. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. PMID:25458105, doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2014.10.011
- Sommers, M.S., Beacham, B.L., Baker, R.B., & Fargo, J.D. (2013). Intra- and inter-rater reliability of digital image analysis for skin color measurement. Skin Research & Technology, 19(4), 484-491. doi:10.1111/srt.12072
- Beacham, B, & Deatrick, J. (2013) Health care autonomy in children with chronic conditions: Implications for self-care and family management. Nursing Clinics of North America, 48(2), 305-317. PMID: 23659815, doi: 10.1016/j.cnur.2013.01.010
- Alexander, K.A., Dovydaitis, T., Beacham, B., Bohinski, J.M., Brawner, B.M., Clements, C.P., Everett, J.S., Gommes, M.M., Harner, H., McDonald, C.C., Pinkston, E., and Sommers, M.S. (2011). Learning health equity frameworks within a community of scholars. Journal of Nursing Education, 50(10), 569-574.
- Books Chapters Invited
- Deatrick, J., & Beacham, B. (2011). Chronic illness and family management style. In Martha Craft-Rosenberg (Ed.),Encyclopedia of family health. Sage Publications.
- Deatrick, J., & Beacham, B. (2011). Coping management styles in families. In Martha Craft-Rosenberg (Ed.),Encyclopedia of family health. Sage Publications.
- Beacham, B. & Synder, B. (contributors) (2004). Health promotion and illness prevention in the adolescent female. In B.H. Mayer & J. Munden (eds.) Women’s health: A guide to health promotion and disorder management. New York: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.